Friday, January 4, 2008

Where We Live - #2

One of the best things about moving the Carolinas is that we now live in “Steak n Shake country.” I grew up in Lexington, Illinois, just a few miles north of Normal - the birthplace of the Steak n Shake restaurant chain. Steakburgers and those little thin french fries – food fit for kings.
I remember driving American Graffiti style in the family’s blue ’52 Studebaker through the Steak n Shake parking lot on Saturday nights in the late 50’s and early 60’s.

Waving to friends from all the little towns in McLean County - looking at the girls - checking out to see what kind of car everyone drove. Listening to WLS!

Then, I moved to the Nation’s Capital – plenty of Hot Shoppes – but no Steak n Shakes. Ever since then, as we traveled I always insisted on stopping for a Steakburger whenever we could. Now, once again I live just a few miles from the Steak n Shake


I live in Steak and Shake country.

1 comment:

maggieliz said...

Aren't you glad I didn't wear out that 52 before you got your chance. It sure had a lot of Steak & Shake miles on it.......

WLS what can I say but Rock & Roll.....

I still live in Steak & Shake country.................