Sunday, November 1, 2009

Mrs. Edna Jordan

A Shift in Time

A strong woman born
In a place and time
That kept her back
From what could have been.

Married, lived her life
On a path beside a cemetery
Where they left artificial flowers
On real graves of real people.

Barren, raised another’s child
With a Jesus love born
In the sanctified church
where she ushered in white.

Confident, sold penny candy,
grape sodas and sardines
In a backyard store,
Hot and dark, but hers.

Widowed, kept on living.
Fussing, piddling around,
making do with what she had
Because that’s what she had to do.

Stricken, too tired to struggle now,
She mostly sits and sleeps.
Watching the hallway,
Remembering, perhaps not.

A strong woman born
In a place and time
That kept her back
From what could have been.






Mrs. Edna Jordan, my wife Anne's adopted mother, was born in Southampton County, Virginia in 1916. Known to friends and family as Miss Edna or Aunt Edna, she now resides in Smithfield, Virginia. She has Alzheimer’s disease. This is for her.








Mrs. Edna JordanClick here or on the graphic at the left for more impressions.

18 comments:

Shraddha@theselfloveproject said...

great tribute!!
Alzheimer can be very painful for the patient as well as relatives....

and sorry for my ridiculous post..i realize that i over used word 'fun'....i was obsessively making digital scrap pages for my kids albums and i used the same effects to write that...i will be more sincere next time...

zoya gautam said...

.. what a lovely poem ..

great tribute ..

Yellow Tulip said...

great tribute!!

beautiful poem :)..

spacedlaw said...

Such a lovely tribute to a great woman.

gautami tripathy said...

A beautiful tribute. It touched me.

deathly adventure

Amity Me said...

the best we can give to our beloved is a beautiful tribute, such as this!

nice one really!

Sweetest in the Gale said...

This was so touching to read...she sounds like a strong and amazing woman.

SandyCarlson said...

This touched my heart. How time shapes us as we shape time. And time is not always kind. This was powerful.

Amias said...

This touched my heart, and reminding me of so many Edna Jordan, and the love they gave to unwanted, unloved, or children that had no one.

Thank you for sharing this ... such a beautiful and loving tribute.

Jukota said...

Along with that picture, I almost think you could have stopped the poem at "A strong woman born" What an amazing line!

Tumblewords: said...

Thank you for sharing this lovely poem in tribute to Mrs. Jordan. Wonderfully done.

Tammie Lee said...

This is a wonderful tribute to your mother in law. It touches the fragility in life, for me. It inspires me to live fully each day. Thank you.
Spirithelpers

Maggie said...

This is a wonderful tribute to a lady who lived a very heart filled life and I am sure many have loved her.

Thanks for allowing us to have a peek into how she blessed you and so many others

indicaspecies said...

This is beautiful, your gift to Mrs Edna Jordan.

Andree said...

How tragic, sad and also triumphant. I wish I could have met her.

NOTEworthy for God said...

Thank you, Anne, for passing this on to me. Maurice did a wonderful job of honoring her. I think of my friend, who shared life with two mothers, and can see how she, herself, is a strong and caring person. Miss our dinners!

Patti said...

Oh I loved this! What a wonderful tribute to an obviously very special lady in your lives. Nicely done!

gabrielle said...

A moving tribute to a strong and beautiful woman. Her native strength and grace comes through your words:

Confident, sold penny candy,
grape sodas and sardines
In a backyard store,
Hot and dark, but hers.

Your post touched me deeply. My mother in law, Cecilia, so much like what I would imagine Edna was like, salt of the earth, with a generous spirit and strong back, now vacantly “watching the fords go by”.

To watch someone you love disappear to herself is bitter fruit. My best to you and your family.