Saturday, December 5, 2009

Monochrome #9 - Ghost Bikes



Just a couple miles south of Sun City Carolina Lakes on US Highway 521 there are two "Ghost Bikes." The bikes stand in memorial to two bicyclists who died after injuries sustained when they were stuck by an automobile on October 21, 2007. Highway 521 is a popular route for local bike clubs. You can read more about Lee Anne Barry and Tom Hoskins and the organization that placed the memorial at Ghostbikes.org.






Like monochrome? Go to Monochrome Weekly for more great photographs.

8 comments:

awarewriter said...

The "ghost bikes" needed to be remembered in B&W. Nice job. Motorists must realize that cyclists have as much a right to the roads as they do. And Pay Attention!

An idiot in a pickup truck almost got me a few months ago when he passed me and immediately make a right turn in front of me. Somehow, I managed to stop and get my feet on the ground. I braked so hard I blew spokes in both wheels.

I won't say what I told this guy -- it's not very polite.

Your photo is a good one. Thank you.

ElinSire said...

Really, they look like ghosts. Interesting shot :)

RuneE said...

As photo - brilliant. As a way to remind the motorists of their responsibility: Even more so.

SquirrelQueen said...

What an interesting memorial. And hopefully an effective reminder to motorists to pay attention and slow down. An excellent choice for monochrome.
The Road to Here

Quasi Serendipita said...

Beautiful - and poignant.

Sylvia said...

Very ghostly indeed! Amazing.

Elisabeth said...

Love the title...perfect for this image. Neat shot!

The Explorer said...

This post is really unique for me.