Wednesday, September 22, 2010

100 Strangers - Photograph #013


My brothers and sisters have always called me Maurie. High school and college friends call me Maurie. To others, I'm Maurice, Moe, Uncle Moe, or Pop Pop.

A few years ago my oldest sister Margaret went to work for Maurie's Candies in Pekin, Illinois. Maurie's, as described by the Peoria Journal Star, is "possibly the oldest continuously-running downtown business ... a heavy dose of the old-time downtown nostalgia, with its original metal and neon signs, homemade chocolate confections, comic books, penny candy and roasted nuts in a vintage cart."

This summer, Margaret gave me a print of a painting by Midwestern artist Tom Gross that depicts a neon "Mauries" sign.  This week, I took it to Fast Frames in the Ballantyne neighborhood of Charlotte, North Carolina, to be framed. The shop is one of two owned and operated by Barbara and her husband, Tom. When I picked the print up, I had a nice conversation with Barbara and she agreed to be my 13th Stranger. That's Barbara above and our new print below.




Learn more about the 100 Strangers Project!

See all of the photographs at the Flickr Group!

No comments: