Saturday, January 8, 2011

What I'm Reading Now


My son and daughter-in-law gave me this book for Christmas. I actually read it many years ago and may have that earlier copy stashed away somewhere, but I was glad to get my hands on it once again. It is a perfect book for "spot" reading. You can pick it up, read a little, and lay it down and then come back tomorrow.

William Least Heat-Moon writes about a trip he took in 1978. A trip around the country. Staying off the interstates and traveling the highways that appear blue on old roadmaps, William writes about seeing the little places of America and meeting their people. He's quick to ask questions and tells the reader the answers he gets.

It's my dream, to one day to take a similar trip - a "Lap around America" is what I call it - until then, I can travel with William Least Heat-Moon.

2009 CNN interview with William Least Heat-Moon
Wikimedia article on the author

No comments: